Friday, January 26, 2007

Casting Call

Opening today is the movie Smokin' Aces starring Jeremy Piven as a strung out Las Vegas performer-turned-snitch who has all manner of mob hit men after him. It features an all-star cast including Andy Garcia, Jason Bateman, Ryan Reynolds, Ray Liotta, Alicia Keys and Wayne Newton. However, it looks pretty stupid and I have no intention of seeing it. In fact, here's a sample of what critics are saying: "...an exercise in excess gone over the top. It's so punch-drunk with antisocial behavior you don't know whether to laugh or write to the MPAA.", "...an awkward pelvic thrust of a movie that wishes it knew more cool moves than it actually does." and "...a movie that may not only be dumb in itself, but also the cause of dumbness in others." The only reason I am mentioning it here is Piven. I can't really tell how big of a role he has in this movie, but it is nice to see him getting out from behind the best friend type casting. He grew up with John Cusack and the two of them have appeared in 10 movies together including Gross Pointe Blank and Serendipity. Other than for playing Cusack's sidekick, Piven is also known for his part in the HBO series Entourage. Others might recognize him as evil Dean Pritchard from Old School. He also lent his voice talents to the movie Cars as well as three episodes of the animated super hero show Justice League as "The Elongated Man." Showing more of his comedic talents, Piven made brief appearance in the movie Rush Hour 2 as a clothing store clerk, seen below (1:04).


What first got me interested in Piven, however, was a feature on one of the HD channels that chronicled his trip to India. It was fascinating to see his approach to the country and the people. It was anything but touristy. I especially liked the part where he arrived in "Jew Town," a smallish Jewish community in the heart of India dating back several decades. Also interesting was his three day trip up a river just to see a small play being performed.

In a related matter, when my memoirs are adapted for the big screen, Jeremy Piven will be cast as my friend Matt Hansen on account of the fact they kind of look alike. Also, Princess Diaries star Anne Hathaway will play my sister Jenifer while Jim Caviezel (Frequency, Passion of the Christ) will be John Stockton from that time I got my picture taken with him when I was nine. The rest I'm leaving up to you, the readers. Who would play you in my movie? Feel free to comment below where it says "comments."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I can choose any actor, living or dead, to play me, I choose John Candy. If I am limited to living, it should be Whoopi Goldberg.

morty said...

In a way Whoopi played a white man in the movie Ghost when the ghost of Patrick Swayze was possessing her, and going from Swayze to Pratt wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Anonymous said...

I want Will Farrell to play me.

Anonymous said...

Tricky question John. Do we choose someone to play us based on the idea that the person may look like us? Act like us or something we want to be, something others see us as or completely honest? Is it based on how we see ourselves, how others might see us, or how we want to be seen by others? The same could be said of the type of character we are, may be perceived as or others say we are like. "You're like that one guy in that one movie." Of which, your typical response is something along the lines of "No way, that guy is a total fag" or... Y'know something similar. So is your choice honest? ... is it optimistic or one that others might agree? My pick... Kenneth Branagh but as the character he played from "Much Ado
about Nothing" and he would have to play me with a killer British accent and his wife would be have to be Morgan fairchild, who I'd get
to see naked.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see a cameo appearance for the Hansen family with every family member played by Eddie Murphy, just like in the Nutty Professor.

morty said...

Fine, just as long Matt is still played by Jeremy Piven. Even The Nutty Professor had the part of the kid ("Hercules! Hercules!") that wasn't played by Murphy.

Eric said...

I also believe that Jeremy Piven played the character who uses 'hug it out bitch' that was borrowed by Michael on an episode of the office.

Anonymous said...

I have been told that the best actor to play me is Freddie Prince, Jr. However, given his acting ability, I choose to play myself.

Anonymous said...

Hands down, Steve Burns (Blue's Clues) would play me. Understudy would be Steve Guttenberg.